Thursday, September 10, 2015

She Said What? Well, She Has Cancer.

So, today she has another vincristine push. Next week she is in Salt Lake for radiation. I haven't really described how that is going to go, but I will leave it, for now, as saying the targeted radiation sessions will not be a pleasant experience.

And according to my calendar, October 23rd will be her last chemo treatment, so get the balloons ready. She will still suffer the effects of the drug for a few days, though.

This past weekend was rough again. While we were a little more prepared with her being hydrated the night before, the night of and the night after, it still made her very sick. As far as school goes, it was good too have a 4-day weekend so she didn't have that to worry about on top of everything else.

We have been quite fortunate that her blood counts have been high enough through this entire course that she hasn't had to be kept home from school. She still needs to be careful and we don't want people hanging all over her and drooling, or whatever, but being out and about hasn't been too much of a threat for her so far. We just have to be smart about it.

But she did her chemo today, even though it means she will miss school tomorrow, because she wants to be up for going to the Candlighters 5k on Saturday. Cassidy will be pushing her in a wheelchair for the 1 mile walk. Matti really is looking forward to seeing everyone who has signed up to come to that event in her support.

So, sometimes, she will say something that I would probably get on her case for, except...cancer. For example, today on Facebook, she referred to a certain Republican presidential candidate as a douche bag.

Yes, she's 17. Yes, it's not the worst thing she could say about someone. No, I can't claim to have never used the word myself. No, I don't wholeheartedly disagree with the use of that word to describe that person.

But, I try to teach my children to be a little better than I am. But, frankly, her emotions just might be a little more raw these days, especially since she was likely sitting in the clinic waiting for her chemo push. And, she's 17. So, you know what? She gets a pass. It happens. Deal with it, I say.

Love to all. I will be taking and posting many pictures from our experience this Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.