Not like we need somebody to tell us that children get cancer. We are quite aware of that fact.
Matti had her chemo treatment this past Friday, as planned. She has 51 days until her last chemo treatment. Then, the healing and strengthening can begin in earnest. I have started my own countdown on my calendar, but Matti wants to wait to do a real countdown until after radiation the week of the 14th.
The following was from Nicki's FB post, which many of you have already read. She and I have noticed that some people don't seem to really get it because Matti puts on such a strong face at school and elsewhere. They will act like it's no big deal to go what she's going through because we are getting such a great prognosis at this point.
But Matti uses every bit of her strength for her time at school and then gets home and crashes for hours. I have interjected some of my own thoughts:
"It's Childhood Cancer Awareness Month!
This is our life right now. It's hard to share really personal stuff on Facebook, but the more families I meet that have a child with cancer, the more I feel the need to share.
Matti goes through each day with a brave face and she pushes herself on a regular basis. Today she killed it at her Vocal Jazz audition (Obviously, since she has such an amazing voice - control, tone, strength and musicality - in my completely unbiased opinion, granted, but no less true) and then lead a soprano sectional. She went to school and did her best, trying not to show the exhaustion she feels. She also just had chemo on Friday, and will have more this week, and more next week and on and on for what seems like eternity.
People don't see her barely make it upstairs to get in bed at the end of the day. They don't see her pain, they don't feel her loss, they don't know what it is like for her...they only see the strong girl in front of them because that is what she is...the strongest girl I know.
And this is the reality for so many children with cancer. We see their strength and their bravery because that is what keeps them going on the hardest, darkest days. Their bravery is what keeps US ALL going on the hardest, darkest days.
So, here is to all of the sweet children fighting this disease. You are our role models of what we should be focused on in life and how we should be.
And here is to all of you who send your love, support and prayers. You all truly do make a difference."
Next Saturday is the Candlelighters 5k in Henderson and a couple of dear friends started Team Matti to participate in the run. As of today, her team is the 3rd largest team participating in the race and only need 2 more people to overtake 2nd place. It's really humbling and cool to have all this support from friends and family. We have friends and family coming from as far away as Phoenix and Boise to come support her.
I am sure that I will not leak from my eyes that morning when I see everyone there.
Her treatment this Friday is the larger one, and so we are glad it is a four day weekend for school. It will give her an additional day to rest before getting back to school. We are planning ahead for this one to make sure she gets the hydration she needs that will help combat the nausea that comes with the dactinomycin.
Next Saturday is the Candlelighters 5k in Henderson and a couple of dear friends started Team Matti to participate in the run. As of today, her team is the 3rd largest team participating in the race and only need 2 more people to overtake 2nd place. It's really humbling and cool to have all this support from friends and family. We have friends and family coming from as far away as Phoenix and Boise to come support her.
I am sure that I will not leak from my eyes that morning when I see everyone there.
Her treatment this Friday is the larger one, and so we are glad it is a four day weekend for school. It will give her an additional day to rest before getting back to school. We are planning ahead for this one to make sure she gets the hydration she needs that will help combat the nausea that comes with the dactinomycin.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.