Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Round 1 Goes To...

Matti Avery.

If you were bored by Manny v. Floyd, count on our fight to be much more interesting.  There will be no dancing or hugging.  Punches will be traded all the way down to the wire.

So, I learned this week, in terms of the treatment Matti is receiving, we refer to each set of 3-week treatments as a "Round."  It makes sense, since the beginning of each 3 weeks is the big 3-drug chemo cocktail.  And even though she is receiving a push in the intervening weeks without any break, the entire period is called a round.

So there you go.

And, yes, chemo got in a few good shots.  But Matti proved she can be stronger than what chemo has to dish out here in the early rounds.

I find myself trying to maintain the perspective that there are likely rougher weeks ahead.  I say likely, but I think we know that means certainly.  But she has responded so well and stayed so positive, one could be tempted to think, "Okay.  She's got this."

Don't get me wrong, I believe she does.  She is a fighter. That has been clear since she was barely able to walk and speak.  Nicki and I always knew we were in for it when she got older.

Still seven rounds to go in this fight of the century.  And we know chemo has more to give.  And it's going to wear Matti down.  But she's got a coach's corner that will give her everything available to help her.

Not to mention the entire arena full of Matti's fans.  In fact, I'm not aware of even one fan of chemo OR cancer.

She has been to school both day this week, again, and will go tomorrow.  She gets tired and when she is at school, she able to go to Nicki's office and rest a little and then go back to a class.

Matti is so blown away by the help and kindness shown by so many. Her parents are, too.  We are all looking forward to having some conversations with her primary team of doctors (I suppose a pun is intended). Just to get a status update from them and their perspective on how she is doing at this point with the symptoms experienced and blood counts, etc.

Stay tuned, as the fight continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.