Friday, April 24, 2015

Treatment Begins

I realize I should probably include pictures to help make this more interesting for everyone, and I will get those in, I'm sure.  Sometime.

The doctors at Primary Children's wanted to start her chemotherapy with an overnight stay.

Twelve hours after the end of her initial treatment, it's clear why.  She's really feeling sick.  She didn't get to sleep most of the night.

They have been giving her all kinds of anti-nausea medicine to try to help her relax and get some sleep. For that matter, for Nicki to get some sleep, as well.

Treating cancer is an interesting irony.  Killing the body in order to save the life.

We are very grateful that all the MRIs and CTs and scans and procedures she's had in the past couple of weeks all have been unable to find evidence of cancerous tumor or mass.

The doctors at Primary Children's assured us that is very good news.  And we certainly believe that.  And then there's the part of you that wonders, "Is there any chance the original diagnosis was just wrong?" And, "Does that mean she really has cancer?" And does she really have to go through chemotherapy and radiation?"

Dr. Wright affirmed the diagnosis is correct.  Obviously, the doctor who cleaned out the mass and stuff he found did an exceptional job getting it all out.  But the risk of small remnants that cannot be otherwise detected by these many tests is to great to leave it untreated.  But all of this points to the greater possibility of positive results - completely eradicating the cancer from her.

I can't wait for her to get back.  Unfortunately, I can't give her a hug or hold my baby because I am getting a cold.  Such perfect timing.

When Matti was an infant, Nicki and I carried hand sanitizer everywhere we went.  We used it like crazy and made everyone use it who wanted to interact with her.  If anyone showed signs of illness, they were not allowed near her.

Our parents were (for the most part) patient with us.  Our brothers and sisters didn't know any better.

Here we are 17 years later and we will be doing the same thing.  The difference is 17 years ago, we were overprotective new parents.  Now, she will have an ever decreasing immune system and not being vigilant could truly risk her health.

Aside from that, Matti and Nicki are on information overload from the past two days - which means I probably will be, too, when I get hold of all the reading they are being sent home with.

Lastly, there are so many good people out there who are making it financially possible to do this without completely interrupting the other kids' lives.  Not to mention family who come to help out (Moms) and friends who provide meals and the rest.

Of course, these things will start to dwindle (except moms, of course), but we are very grateful for all the help we are currently receiving.  It has been such a blessing to our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.