And way too many to go.
The rest of last week went okay leading up to her chemo treatment her in Las Vegas. She did get a wig that she is pretty excited about to be able to have as an option to scarves and beanies. I don't know if you know this, but wigs are expensive. A special thanks goes out to Candlelighters. They helped offset a large portion of that cost.
So, if you are looking for someplace to send dollars at some point in the future, remember them. I know we will. For those of you in the Las Vegas area who like to run (or who don't like to run, but would be willing to move their body using their legs from one point to another point about 3.1 miles away), register for the Superhero 5k on Saturday, September 12. I know we will. Watch for more information about Team Matti.
Anyway, the chemo pushes are now on Friday afternoons. They have to be at least 7 days apart and Primary Children's did her previous one on Friday. On the plus side, it makes for an early start to the weekend. Again, whatever positive news we can get.
The nurses at the Las Vegas Cure 4 Kids Clinic are so fabulous. (By the way, another very good option for your donation dollars in the future.) They make Matti feel so comfortable and supported and loved when she is there. Definitely some special people.
Then those same cousins who had the shirts from last week, came down to visit for the weekend. And the timing was perfect. She could have her cousins to talk to and watch movies with. And on this first night of a chemo push, when the pain can be so bad, it was a welcome distraction. It seemed to help her get through the night and next day.
Plus, we dragged her to see Avengers: Age of Awesome...I mean...Ultron on Saturday. Yes, going out and about that soon after can be tough. To make it tougher, she was with a group of 19 Averys. But, those Averys are family...and she was watching Avengers. Sure, being around so much family is good, but Avengers? How can you beat that? She will have a similar "outing," if you will, with the Huntsmans in a few short days. A group of 24 of them. And some awesomeness that should make her smile.
She has been trying to get caught up on as much homework as she can for all her classes so her teachers will pass her this year. She has missed a lot of class and the discussion that goes with it. She's a good student, though. Of course, schoolwork doesn't seem to be as important to her right now as other things. But we try to remind her that it is necessary because she will still have colleges to apply for and so on at the other end of this experience.
On days she is feeling more worn down, this can be particularly difficult. Because, really, how important is it?
Overall, though, she's doing so well, 5 weeks in. She has definitely had to fight for it, but she is doing great. Knowing there are 19 treatments left, plus the radiation, is very unnerving because I don't want to ever feel like everything is going okay. As soon as I say that, then what will happen?
So I remain cautiously optimistic and guarded about it all. When people at work ask how she is doing, the response is a polite, "She's doing good." When you ask (the readers of this blog who are special friends and family to us, in case you didn't get what "you" meant), I will tend to be a little more open about it. Not because I feel like I can complain around you, but because I know you truly care...well, maybe the complaining part too.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.